A brand new £1million fund designed to support communities during the most challenging times in almost a century is open for applications.
Leicestershire County Council has put aside the sizable pot of money to ensure that community and voluntary groups can continue to carry out their vital work, despite the inevitable impact coronavirus is having on their finances.
Groups are urged to find out more about the Leicestershire Communities Fund and apply by visiting: www.leicestershirecommunities.org.uk/leicestershire-communities-fund
Nick Rushton, Leader of Leicestershire County Council, said: “Every day, the work of volunteers and groups keeps communities thriving. But unfortunately, the measures needed to curb coronavirus threaten their income and viability.
“That’s why we’ve launched this new fund. It’s never been more important for communities to band together and support each other. And it’s crucial that their work not only continues but groups are able to step up activities to support vulnerable people and those isolating.
“This fund enables people to stay safe by staying at home and ultimately, saves lives. I’d like to thank our volunteers and community groups for their fantastic work and encourage them to visit the website to find out more.”
Charities, constituted voluntary and community organisations and social enterprises can apply for a maximum of £25,000 for support with the following activities:
• Support for core running costs - for organisations who have experienced a loss of income due to services closing or operating at a reduced level and where this may lead to the permanent closure of the organisation
• Extra staffing - capacity required to meet existing, current or increased demand for services, to support vulnerable people during the crisis
• Adapting services - the need to rapidly adapt current service delivery models to maintain contact with service users
• Equipment - funding for essential ICT, safety (such as PPE) or other essential equipment
• Transport - funding for use of vehicles, transport, fuel etc. to enable visits to service users
• Expenses - funding for increased expenses costs such as reimbursing travel costs for staff/volunteers who need to visit service users, if it safe to do so, in their home or in other locations.