Snap Dragon children’s event goes on tour
The popular Snap Dragon Children and Families Festival will be back for the sixth year running this summer and Fosse 107 will be supporting the event. Monday 31 July is seaside fun day in Argents Mead and we will be there between 11 and 3pm, then on Friday Friday 4 August it's the Snap Dragon spectacular at Hollycroft Park in Hinckley where you can enjoy this year’s Young People’s Music Festival showcasing talent from across Hinckley and Bosworth. Our own Mark Rowley from Breakfast will he hosting this free show at the bandstand Hollycroft Part from 11 - 3pm.
A week-long programme of activities will be taking place in Hinckley's popular Argents Mead and Hollycroft park.
But before then, Snap Dragon on Tour will be visiting four villages in the borough to give people a taste of what lies in store when the festival proper is held from Monday 31 July to Friday 4 August.
Snap Dragon on Tour will be visiting the following locations:
- Monday 24 July (11am - 2pm) – Burbage Millennium Hall.
- Tuesday 25 July (11am - 2pm) – Twycross – Playing fields off Orton Lane CV9 3HA.
- Wednesday 26 July (11am - 2pm) – Barlestone – Playing fields at Bosworth Rd (with bowls club) CV13 0HU.
- Thursday 27 July (11am - 2pm) – Botcheston – village hall and playing field on the corner of Main St LE9 9FF.
Snapdragon will return to Hinckley daily from Monday 31 July to Friday 4 August from 11am to 3pm. Each day will feature a different theme, with an under 5’s zone provided by Hinckley Sure Start and sand play sponsored by Hinckley BID:
- Monday 31 July is seaside fun day in Argents Mead featuring donkey rides, beach and sand play, traditional peep boards, side shows, face painting, creative play, plus much more. Meanwhile Hinckley & District Museum in Lower Bond Street is hosting a Roman Day from 11am to 3pm featuring dressing up, writing, jewellery making and crafts on a Roman theme. Admission to the Roman day is £1 per person which includes museum entry.
- Tuesday 1 August is out of this world day in Argents Mead. Discover dinosaurs, space men, aliens and amazing experiments and be a star gazing expert. There’s a dinosaur dig, a birds of prey display and a range of mad science amazing experiments and science to thrill, with shows at 12 noon and 2.30pm plus lots more.
- Wednesday 2 August is National Play Day, the national celebration of a child’s right to play in Argents Mead. Back by popular demand this year is the water slide so bring a towel, plus there will be den building, dressing up, a mud pie kitchen, pavement art, giant bubble blowing and traditional games plus music and movement for the under 5’s from Moo Music and lots more.
- Thursday 3 August is fairy tale fantasy in Argents Mead. Children can come along and meet the Billy goats gruff, Brer rabbit and one of the three little pigs. You can customise your teddy (either bring your own or you can buy one for a small charge), decorate a gingerbread man, make your own fairy wings, have a go at building a house of straw or even grow a beanstalk plus lots more.
- Friday 4 August is the Snap Dragon spectacular at Hollycroft Park in Hinckley where you can enjoy this year’s Young People’s Music Festival showcasing talent from across Hinckley and Bosworth. Bring a picnic and enjoy the festival atmosphere. There’s also a chance to see the play ‘the Giraffe the Pelly and Me’ performed by young people from Redmoor Academy plus lots of play activities, pavement art, giant bubbles and a photo booth.
Cllr Miriam Surtees, the Borough Council’s Children, Young People and Families Champion, said:
The freedom to play is so important and the Snap Dragon Festival offers many fantastic opportunities for children, young people and families to come together and have a great time, trying new things and having lots of fun. I hope that as many people as possible can join us for a fantastic time.
In addition, there will be a Snap Dragon passport packed full of all kinds of things to do, youngsters can be a bug hunter and collect an explorer kit, or have a go at the gnome trail. The festival's full programme, can be downloaded from the council's website at www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/snapdragon
For more information contact Rebecca Ball, Children and Young People’s Strategic Co-ordinator, on 01455 255937 or Sherrilee Fahey on 01455 255893.
Fosse 107 Night Shift
12:00am - 6:00am
Up late or up early, we've got Just Great Music interruption-free.
6:00am - 8:00am
Waking up the area for a Bank Holiday Monday
Fosse Breakfast with Mark Rowley
8:00am - 12:00pm
The late Breakfast Show for Bank Holiday Monday in the sunshine
12:00pm - 4:00pm
Mark gets you through the hottest part of Bank Holiday Monday