Warning: Some readers may find this story distressing.
A man accused of sexually abusing his adopted baby, who was allegedly murdered by his partner, told police he never harmed the boy.
John McGowan-Fazakerley, 32, is accused of causing or allowing the death of Preston Davey, aged 13 months, along with child cruelty and a sexual assault.
His partner, Jamie Varley, 37, is accused of the murder of the boy and multiple offences of cruelty and child sexual abuse.
Both men deny all charges.
Jurors at Preston Crown Court were shown a police video interview in which McGowan-Fazakerley is asked to account for the child's injuries.
A child sexual abuse expert had identified Preston had around 40 trauma injuries, both internally and externally, including tears and lacerations, and "in excess" of 30 bruises across his body, the jury has heard.
In the video, the defendant is asked a series of questions about bruises and abrasions to the baby's head, arms, legs, chest and back.
McGowan-Fazakerley replies: "I've never caused any injuries to him ever, I've never hurt him, never done anything to him.
"I've never seen anybody hurt him, and I would never allow anybody to hurt him."
The defendant is then asked about internal injuries to Preston, including a bruise to his deep throat area, along with other injuries caused by "forcible penetration" - which the jury has been told are clinical signs of sexual abuse.
Becoming emotional, McGowan-Fazakerley tells detectives: "No, no, no. No account for those injuries whatsoever.
"I understand you have to ask these questions, but... I've never witnessed Jamie, or anybody else, hurt, harm, abuse, neglect, all of the above, or anybody else, hurt him."
Preston was admitted to hospital three times in the four months after being adopted.
He died in hospital on 27 July 2023 having suffered a collapse and cardiac arrest, allegedly following a sexual assault by Varley.
Read more from Sky News:
Woman jailed for murdering neighbour
Fourth meningitis outbreak case confirmed
Varley told police he had briefly left the child in the bath and when he returned he was off his bath seat and submerged.
A post-mortem examination ruled out drowning, and found multiple non-accidental internal and external injuries, and a cause of death to be acute upper airways obstruction by either smothering or an object or objects inserted into his mouth.
Home Office pathologist Dr Alison Armour said Preston had a bruise in his deep throat area, a human bite mark on his bottom and some injuries possibly caused by "forcible penetration".
Jurors heard parts of his anatomy were also "abnormal".
Dr Joanne Gifford, an expert in child sexual abuse and clinical lead for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, told the court in her opinion the child showed signs of suffering sexual, physical and emotional abuse.
Last week, the court was shown footage of Varley telling officers: "I have not done it. I will fight you 'til the day I die."
Varley denies murder, manslaughter, two counts of assault by penetration, five counts of cruelty to a child, grievous bodily harm, sexual assault of a child, 13 counts of taking indecent photos or videos of a child, one of distributing an indecent photo of a child to his co-accused, and one of making an indecent photo.
McGowan-Fazakerley denies allowing the death of a child, three counts of child cruelty and one count of the sexual assault of a child.
The trial was adjourned until Thursday morning.
(c) Sky News 2026: Man accused of sexually assaulting baby tells murder trial he 'never harmed' him
Police reveal new details about teenagers suspected of deadly US mosque attack
Met Police urges potential sex assault victims on Married At First Sight UK to contact the force
HS2: World's 'most expensive' high-speed rail line to be slower and cost more
Surrey Police investigating child sex abuse allegations linked to Epstein files
Sandy Fire: Thousands told to leave homes in California as wildfire spreads
UK waters down Russian oil sanctions amid jet fuel crisis brought on by Strait of Hormuz closure
Carlos Alcaraz issues statement after Wimbledon withdrawal
Goldman Sachs tees off with £330m sale of former Ryder Cup host The Belfry | Mark Kleinman blog