The ex-girlfriend of a boyband singer has been accused of trying to hire a hitman to kill him as part of a custody dispute over their seven-year-old daughter, prosecutors in Los Angeles have said.
Gabriela Gonzalez, a 24-year-old social media star with close to half a million followers on both TikTok and Instagram, has been charged with attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and solicitation of murder after allegedly attempting to hire a hitman on the dark web in a plot to kill Jack Avery, formerly of the band Why Don't We.
Gonzalez's father, Francisco Gonzalez, 59, and her then-boyfriend Kai Cordrey, 26, face the same charges.
In a statement, Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said: "This is a case where the defendants are accused of going to great lengths to find someone to commit murder.
"Most fathers raise their children to respect the law, but here we have a dad who allegedly helped his daughter and her boyfriend break the law in the most sinister way imaginable."
Mr Hochman added that the charges came after a lengthy investigation that had been initiated by the FBI.
In a social media post on Thursday, Avery thanked the authorities for their support, saying his focus was now on "being the best father I can be" and trying to "build a peaceful and stable life" for his daughter.
Undercover officer posed as hitman
Gabriela Gonzalez is accused of seeking the assistance of Cordrey to hire someone to kill Avery.
Prosecutors claim that in April 2021, Gonzalez's father sent Cordrey $10,000 as front money in the plot.
Officials said that Cordrey requested and received an additional $4,000 from Francisco Gonzalez two months later, when the alleged hitman asked for more money.
According to prosecutors, an undercover law enforcement officer posing as a hitman spoke with Cordrey about the murder-for-hire plan in September 2021.
Cordrey is accused of telling the undercover officer that Avery was the target and discussed payment and proof of death, prosecutors said.
Read more from Sky News:
Two-time NASCAR champion dies aged 41
US-Iran deal to end war could be in sight, says Rubio
Prison documents show that Cordrey was arrested on Thursday, while Francisco Gonzalez is awaiting extradition to California after being arrested in Florida.
Lawyers for Gabriela Gonzalez are yet to comment on the case.
If convicted, all three defendants face up to life in prison.
Why Don't We, a five-member US boyband, formed in 2016 and released their debut album, 8 Letters, in 2018.
The band's second album came three years later before the group disbanded in 2025 following a lengthy legal battle with their former management.
Avery, who has since embarked on a solo career, released the single XOXOX earlier this year.
(c) Sky News 2026: TikTok star charged in alleged murder-for-hire plot to kill boyband singer
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigated over potential sex crimes
Fuel sales collapse as Iran war costs knock savings
The parking mistake that operators can't fine you for – but often do | Money newsletter
Foden and Palmer set to miss out on England World Cup squad - while Maguire confirms absence
'Some good signs' a US-Iran deal to end war could be in sight, Marco Rubio reveals
Two-time NASCAR champion Kyle Busch dies aged 41 - after being taken to hospital with 'severe illness'
South Africa's Julius Malema: The opposition leader who has thrown Africa's oldest surviving political party into disarray again
Skin cancer cases at record high, new figures show - as UK braces for bank holiday heatwave
