Tottenham Hotspur's captain Cristian Romero has been criticised for travelling to Argentina just days before a crunch game for his side.
The defender was not expected to play in Sunday's home clash against Everton, which could decide his team's future Premier League status, due to a knee injury.
However, fans said he should still be there because of the importance of the match, and to support his teammates.
It is unclear if he will return to London in time.
But Former England captain Stuart Pearce said the timing of the trip "stinks".
A video of the Argentinian at the training ground of Buenos Aires-based Belgrano, was posted on X on Thursday by his boyhood club.
World Cup reaction after big names overlooked
If Roberto De Zerbi's team loses on Sunday, while West Ham beat Leeds, Spurs will be relegated to the Championship.
Any other combination of results for the London sides and Tottenham will stay up, while the Hammers go down.
Pearce told TalkSPORT: "If you're a Tottenham fan and your captain is thousands of miles away, wow, there's a statement there.
"That means I've [Romero] not got you in this problem, it's not my fault, that's what that statement sent out to me. It's not good."
Pearce said he had watched Romero, who recently signed a new contract at Spurs, play earlier this season and looked at "how he was playing [the] game, how selfish his defending was. I looked at him and I thought, 'that's your captain?'".
De Zerbi, who described Romero as a "great captain" as recently as Monday, confirmed at Friday's pre-match news conference that Romero is back in his homeland continuing his rehabilitation from a knee injury ahead of the World Cup.
The Italian coach said he had no issue with the trip, as it was arranged through Spurs' medical team and he and Romero "spoke last week. With me he showed always his desire to stay with us.
"He is injured. I'm not stupid. If I understand there is any player who thinks for himself before the club, I can't be the same Roberto. But with Cuti Romero I can't say nothing because with me he has been correct from when I started until now."
However, with the player likely to miss Spurs' vital game, De Zerbi said he understood "100 per cent" why supporters were angry.
"The decision was with the medical staff and I think he can't change anything if Romero is at the stadium or not.
"Finally, I have no time to lose energy and to lose thinking other things. We have to be focused on the game and we have the players good enough to achieve our target."
Read more from Sky News:
Carrick confirmed as new Man U boss
Police investigate Mountbatten-Windsor
Belgrano president Luis Artime told TyC Sports: "Yesterday he [Romero] was training and I told him I think he's going to be the one who arrives at the World Cup in the best shape. I've seen him and he's in great form. He's going to arrive well-rested, ready to join the team at its peak."
Romero was not at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, where Spurs lost 2-1 to Chelsea, but he was present for his side's draw with Leeds on 11 May.
According to De Zerbi, he has contributed to the squad's preparations despite being unable to play since mid-April.
But any absence on Sunday for one of the biggest Premier League matches in Tottenham's history may prove the final straw for some supporters.
Sky News has contacted Spurs to ask if Romero will return in time for Sunday's match.
(c) Sky News 2026: Cristian Romero: Tottenham's captain criticised over Argentina trip
Ebola outbreak 'spreading rapidly' - as vaccine from UK scientists 'months away'
TV presenter Judith Chalmers, who hosted Wish You Were Here, has died
'Unduly lenient' sentence for boys who 'raped for social media content' under urgent review
Seven men charged with rape and child sex abuse offences following grooming gang investigation in Norfolk
Ian Watkins murder trial collapses and jury discharged
Fraudster sentenced after trying to sell bogus ancient statues with fake papers to Sotheby’s
Desmond handed £40m losing Lottery ticket | Mark Kleinman blog
Man who shouted 'I will kill you Jews' outside north London synagogue and threatened to 'blow up' schools jailed
